Purchasing a home is one of the largest investment you will ever make in your lifetime. To maintain its value and generate a return on the investment, you should take proper care of it. Fixing a roof is considered to be the most expensive house repair which makes roof inspection worth the investment. You can visit here to learn how to maintain your roof. Everyday exposure to harsh climatic conditions such as rain, sun and other wear and tear slowly degrades the roof membrane.
Roof inspection involves close examination of the roof to find any problems as well as determine the soundness and lifespan of the roof. Regular roof inspection ensures that any roof problems are detected early before they can cause major damage.
Roof inspection process
During roof inspection, a licensed roof inspector comes and examines the structure of the entire roof checking for any signs of roof deterioration like:
- Broken, missing or loose roofing materials
- Split curled or blistered roof shingles
- Shingle granules in the rain gutters
- Swamp cooler installation or improper air conditioning
- Sagging near ridges or between rafters
- Loose of broken shingles near hip lines and near ridge
- Rusty metals where the roof meets the house
- Corroded, missing or loose flashing
- Improper roof ventilation
- Clogged drains leading to pooling
- Light penetration
The inspector may not find any problem but in case he does, he recommends the right restoration or roof repair method. Whichever the case, knowing the state of your roof gives you peace of mind
Factors that determine when you should repair your roof
- Age of the roof
- Weather conditions in the area
- Shift in the building frame
- Shift in the foundation of the building
Under normal conditions, a homeowner should get the roof inspected at least once in every three years.
If the roof is young and in perfect shape, you can wait for about five years before scheduling a roof inspection. You can also check when the neighboring homes are getting their roofs inspected and replaced.
If the house has withstood windstorm, hail or any other harsh weather conditions, you should have it inspected so that nay damage can be detected and corrected as soon as possible. Failure to do this, a damaged roof results to costly repairs in the future, massive leaks and mold growth.
The roof is a great investment; you do not have to wait until it is damaged to schedule a roof inspection.…